Monday, September 15, 2008

Stevie's "Big Girl" Day

Stevie has been asking for several months now to get earrings. She ramped it up over the last few weeks and asks several times a day (Nannie can attest to this). So we were talking the other night and I told her that only big girls get their ears pierced...girls that don't have pacifiers and pull-ups. She told me that she would throw her "paci's" in the trash and use "Potty Power." True to her determination, she kept bringing it up so we decided to use earrings to bribe her. So this weekend we took her to get her ears pierced. She did cry some, but she was very brave and absolutely loves her new earrings. I keep catching her looking in the mirror. And she threw all of her paci's away that day and wore underwear most of the day.


Some of you may not agree with my parenting techniques here...pacifier at her age, and piercing her ears at such a young age. But bribery does work sometimes and I'm happy with the outcome so far.

The video is a little hard for me to watch with the big tears, but if you want to watch it...here it is.

Stevie getting Ears pierced from Steve Hough on Vimeo.

7 comments:

Brittoni said...

wow Stevie you are such a big girl. Lucy wants to be just like you and get hers pierced too.

Tracie Bramhall said...

I love the blog, Stevie is the cutest little girl. I can't wait to see the new earrings. She was pretty tough. I am amazed she let them do the second ear after the first round of tears and screams. Way to go!

The Staheli's said...

Stevie,
Sierra can't believe that you got your ears pierced and are such a big girl. She also can't believe that they didn't do them both at the same time. Was it hard to talk her into the other side? Great job guys!!

Goodfellow Family said...

OH I couldn't even watch it, I had my hands over my eyes.....Yah it is obvious I couldn not handle Mallory getting her ears pierced. You are brave....the noise when it happens is just too much for me. I have to admit the video made me sad but laugh at the same time. The delay was the best. Anyhoo, we need to get together.

katrina berg said...

Still so amazed at this sweet gal's determination! She looks beautiful. You're looking fabulous lady. Hope you're having a good week!

Nelson said...

Correction my dear. This is not bribery, you have simply figured out what "motivates" her. Now you can continue to "motivate" her with working towards new earrings.

bonnerbunch said...

Holy crap! How did you get her to do the second ear? That looks really scary! I don't know if I will do Laynee's for a long time!! That sucks that they fell out! Hopefully they will be okay!!