Sunday, August 30, 2009

Changes


This last week brought some changes to the Hough household.

First, Jake went back to school. I love how cute he looks with the backpack on and his hair all combed nice. Even though Jake made the Kindergarten cutoff by 2 weeks, we decided to "red shirt" him this year and have him continue with preschool with Miss Sharie until next year. I love the term "red shirt" as it applies here, our friends the McClellands gave us that wording. Steve and I both feel good about the reasons behind the decision and now I get to have him home more often for just one more school year. Stevie starts her preschool after Labor Day.

Secondly, the girls are now sharing a room. I wish it looked as good as this picture already...it will take some time knowing my slow pace :-) We have been wanting to have them in the same room for quite a while, and finally followed through once the nap situation was worked out. I have good memories as a kid sharing a room with one of my sisters. I mostly shared with Nikki, but also with Tracie and Amy at times along the way. There were disagreements of course, but I really did love it and I want Stevie and Kelly to have that experience too. They have still been sleeping well at night and so far so good.

Thirdly, the infant car seat has expired. I mean that literally and figuratively. My friend Denett told me that car seats literally expire after 5 years, so once Kelly grew out of it...gone. And I think our little family is complete too. Unless we have some divine intervention, we probably will not be needing an infant seat anymore. It was a little emotional for me to pack it up and so many memories flashed through my head that involved that car seat. Bringing home Jake, Stevie, and Kelly from the hospital, seeing them sleep so peacefully in that thing, hauling it around everywhere so they could sleep on the go, rocking them to sleep in it, moving them out of that car seat into a bigger one, etc. I could go on and on. You have served us well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny...I was ooing over Stevie and Kelly's new room. Wondering where her crib was...:) I'm sure it's just as adorable. Excited to see you guys tomorrow!

Tracie Bramhall said...

Well Jake is such a cutie and is all grown up, love it! I can not wait to see the girls room and I agree and the sharing issue. And I pretty much cried reading about the carseat, it makes me sad to think about how quick children grow up.

steph said...

I love the post! I was wondering if you were going to send Jake or not. I love the term "red shirt". Keep him home as long as you can. Even though Parker was ready, it's still hard to have him gone everyday. I almost cried reading your carseat post too. I might be done and we just put our baby carseat away so I can relate.