Monday, November 8, 2010

Catch Up - Part 2

Kelly
It was time to hand over the crib to Halle because she was growing out of the bassinet.  I wasn't exactly ready to move Kelly out of the crib, but didn't think it would be too bad because of my experience with Stevie and Jake.  Wrong.  The first few nights she just constantly got out of the bed before going to sleep.  Steve installed the gate on the door and just kept putting her back in.  Then she slept ok once she fell asleep.  But I think it was night 3 that I probably won't forget for a long time.  She woke up around 1ish and we kept going in there and thinking that she went back to sleep.  First we saw books all over the floor.  Then around 4 a.m. we heard a big bang and then crying.  I went running into the room and she was sitting under the dresser in her closet - which had nearly fallen down on her.  The only thing that caught it was the molding around the closet door.  Six inches more and it would have landed on her head...my worst nightmare.  She also happened to be in different clothes and every toy in her room and closet was out.  Needless to say...I was terrified and slept in the room with her for the rest of the night.  The next day, Steve bolted it into the wall.  Our pediatrician always talked about bolting stuff...but we have never done it because I just didn't see my kids climbing stuff. Wrong.


She hasn't really been that bad since that night...but we have found her asleep under Stevie's bed.  And lately she rolls off the bed and doesn't even wake up.  Crazy girl for sure.  The other scary experience with her happened a few weeks ago.  I put her down for a nap and didn't latch the gate on her door. Mainly because I was going to be upstairs working on laundry.  I was soaking some clothes in Oxi Clean in the kids' bathroom and left the powder (lid on) in the bathroom.  I heard some screaming and ran upstairs.  Kelly had woken up early from her nap, went into the bathroom, figured out how to open the powder container, and eaten Oxi Clean.  I don't think much got down her throat, but I did try to make her throw up.  That was the first time I had to call Poison Control, but luckily she was ok.  So...maybe these two stories will remind all of us with small children that you never can be too safe :-)  Let me be your lesson.

The next big step with Kelly will be taking away the pacifier and then on to potty training.  Not looking forward to either one...so I may just wait a bit.

Jake
Jake is doing great in Kindergarten.  He loved his sub teacher, Ms Langford, and now his real teacher is back from maternity leave, Ms Minneci.  Things are going well.  The only thing that has completely surprised me about Jake in Kindergarten...is the fact that he loves the ladies.  I wasn't prepared for that aspect because he has not really wanted to even play with girls for a year or more.  So now all of a sudden he loved the girls in his class - one or two in particular (Shayla and Abby).  There has been kissing and "I love yous" and I am shocked.  I think there are 15 boys in the class and 6 girls.  So maybe he is just trying to stake his claim.  I remember loving the boys in Kindergarten...Mark Pitts in particular...so maybe he is just taking after me.

Stevie Kate
Nothing really too exciting going on with Stevie.  She is doing great at Miss Sharie's preschool and is loving her new friends there - Lila, Tatum, Annika, and Hayden.  The only drama we had was that Miss Kathy (Lila's mom) and I worked out a carpool schedule and she picks up Stevie and Lila.  That really upset Stevie for a few weeks because she wanted Mom or Dad.  Lots of tears.  She figured it out and now we just try to make it special when she comes in the door rather than when we pick her up.

1 comment:

The Staheli's said...

Those are some great stories about Kelly glad you have those written down. Stevie sounds like Tyson. He gets upset if I am not taking or picking up. Tyson luckily just likes to chase all the girls then likes to be on the girls team because they are too slow to catch anyone so he helps them:)