Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Jake's 1st Day of Kindergarten

I was somewhat worried about Jake's 1st day of school...only because he clammed up almost every time we visited the school and classroom before school started.  Wouldn't speak, very shy, etc.  But yesterday he turned it all around.  He was excited all morning and especially excited that it stopped raining enough for us to ride bikes to school.  Once we got into the school he was all smiles and said hi to the kids he knew in his class - 14 boys and 6 girls (those odds won't be so good later on :-)  And he wasn't sad at all when we left.  I wasn't expecting to be sad at all - but I got choked up somehow.  Maybe it is because this is a new beginning of our lives...me leaving him places and him having to be responsible.  He doesn't need me as much???  Who knows...but along with the tears, I was very proud of him too for being ready to let go.  All of you out there with older children...I know you know how I am feeling.
Steve said he wasn't sad...just excited for Jake and remembering what it felt like to go to your first day of school.

2 comments:

The Staheli's said...

So great and true!! He is a handsome devil.

Tracie Bramhall said...

So exciting, what a great new adventure. I know I will choke up when Taylor leaves me.